Betty cox was diagnosed with brain cancer on February 1, 2008. She passed away only 13 days later, on February 14th. My blog covers the all too emotional journey Betty, my dad, and I underwent throughout the progression of Betty's cancer.
I can be contacted at lilyfaden@gmail.com.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

My Dad and I didn't realize that Betty wasn't aware of the extent of her illness. They just came home from a day and a half at Kaiser in Redwood City, and she went to go stand on the deck by the creek. She's missing a small patch of hair where they performed the biopsy. I came to say hi to her, and she looked closely at me and said, "The news isn't good." I learned from my Dad a couple minutes later that no one had directly told her that her cancer was terminal until this afternoon. We went to sit on the couch to talk. I couldn't tell if her leaning on me was entirely due to her now complete lack of balance, or if it was some small attempt at displaying affection.

We went on to begin our discussion about what to do next. The analysis of the biopsy isn't complete yet, so it's hard to say anything positively, but the doctors project that any medical treatment will be useless. They were shocked at her rapid rate of decline. It usually doesn't happen so quickly; what's happened in the past two weeks typically spans over 6 months.

Today her balance is much worse. As we speak, my dad is helping her up from a fall she just took in the bathroom. (Up until just now, she was able to use the bathroom on her own). She naturally gears over to the left to the point where she falls. We are really beginning to need help. There's only so much the two of us can do.

3 comments:

Asya - mumumed.com said...

I know I'm far away and it sounds stupid, but if there's anything I can do - help with finding anything, venting, anything. My heart and thoughts go out to you and your parents. I'll be reading and sharing even just a negligible tiny minute amount of your pain.

gogalucky said...

have you guys considered hiring help? i mean you have school and you dad has work, no..?


and i know i hardly know your stepmom but i've somehow gotten pretty emotional about all of this, so i'm reading your blog and i'm really impressed by how you're taking care of things. just so you know..

Vicky T said...

My heart goes out to you. I lost my own mom to a brain tumor 3 years ago.

How did I end up here, reading your story? My daughter is a friend of Jeffrey's, both at UCSC and UW.