Her biopsy was successful in that so far she has made it through treatment without any extra injury to the brain. They have confirmed that it is, in fact, brain cancer of the "brain stem glioma" type. She and my dad are in Redwood City for the night. He insisted that I go to school today and try to go back to normal as much as possible. Easier said than done.
Here's a picture of a notepad we keep in the kitchen, where I usually write where I'm going so my parents have some remote idea where I am at any given time.
I had written the first line of it about a week ago when I went to go tutor one of my students. Everything beneath it is a product of Betty's. She's been adding words gradually. (In case you can't read it, it says "tutoring / gym / tutoring / tutoring / tutoring"). The weirdest thing to me is the fact that she thought to write "gym," which I often write on the notepad. It's like her subconscious reminded her what function that notepad serves. It's the same way that if she sees a cup, she'll drink from it; if she sees a sweater, she'll fold it; if she sees scissors, she'll try to cut her hair, etc. etc. She remembers why certain items exist, but she doesn't have the ability to reason whether or not it is necessary/appropriate to use those items.
We will know later in the week whether her condition is treatable at all, or if we should simply expect for things to continue to get worse.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Lily...
I've been reading you chronicle this along the way. It's really strong of you to do it and I know sometimes the only way to deal with things is to talk about them. I know you're blogging here but I hope you're also having conversations with a good friend or two. You're dealing with so much more than many of us could imagine, so sometimes the comfort of others will seem trite if they haven't been through it... but it's important to have a sounding board and sometimes saying things aloud and hearing yourself say them is the only way to truly understand an emotion.
With that I send my love and strength and I know you can pull through this, whatever happens... good luck, dear.
Hello Lily, this is Sakura Tseng.
Jeffrey linked to this blog and I've been reading quite a few entries from the both of you. I'm quite touched on what a vivid picture your words formulate and also sad because it paints a much more "real" picture than the impression I was receiving. By no doubt something like this is serious, it's just that sometimes a person fails to feel the entirety of a situation until it's described or felt in such a fashion. Maybe it's the picture of the pad and seeing her writing.
It's definitely difficult; I feel something similar to it now, but the person isn't as close to me as I imagine your step-mother may be. It's good that she can remember certain things. It is a bit unsettling to have that person ask who you are while you are standing in front of them... I hope it is completely treatable and that she can eventually come to a successful recovery.
Continue to do your best, I hope that it gets better from here.
Sakura.
Post a Comment